Who can benefit from donor sperm?
A successful pregnancy requires robust sperm. Patients who cannot produce their own can use a donor. Many individuals and couples who hope to become parents at our New Braunfels fertility center benefit from the use of donor sperm.
- Single women
- Lesbian couples
- Couples with low quality sperm
Age, disease, physical obstructions, malformations and lifestyle factors can affect the quality of a man’s sperm. While medical interventions can help with many of these issues, sometimes using donor sperm is the best option.
How using donor sperm works
When using donor sperm, Susan Hudson MD knows that quality and safety are paramount. She believes patients should be able to tailor their fertility treatment to their individual needs. As such, our New Braunfels fertility center can help facilitate the use of different sperm banks or other donation plans. The donation process works as follows:
- Donor evaluation. The health and safety of donors and recipients are paramount in the donation process. Donors must be under 40, free of communicable diseases and without a family history of genetic disorders.
- Semen analysis. To be usable, the sperm must be able to withstand freezing, storage and thawing while remaining viable.
- Storage. Before using the sperm, it needs to undergo quarantine in frozen storage for at least six months.
- Donor re-evaluation. The donor must again test negative for communicable diseases after the six-month quarantine period before his sperm is available for use.
- Donor selection. Sperm banks offer anonymous information about donors, including interests, aptitudes and physical characteristics. Parents can also use a known donor, or someone they know. Sperm bank donors remain anonymous throughout the process and after. However, known donors do not.
Excellence through high standards and experience
For our New Braunfels fertility center, infertility treatment is personal. Dr. Hudson has dedicated her career to providing patients with the best chance of pregnancy success. We understand how difficult it can be to decide to use donor sperm. As a result, we uphold the highest standards of patient safety so that our patients can move forward with confidence.
To learn more about fertility treatment options, contact our office.