Learn about egg freezing in Texas
Sometimes events in a woman’s life may make egg freezing necessary to protect her ability to have a baby in the future. Women may be facing a deployment overseas, fertility-damaging medical treatments, or a desire to delay childbearing. These factors can reduce the likelihood of conceiving. Our New Braunfels fertility center is here to help you.
Dr. Susan Hudson is happy to discuss your options for fertility preservation. We understand this can be a time-sensitive subject. This is especially true if you have upcoming medical therapy or military deployment. As a result, we can expedite your treatment if you mention these factors.
Egg freezing for fertility preservation
Egg freezing is a way for a woman to preserve her fertility until the time is right to start a family. It is the process of cooling cells and tissues to sub-zero temperatures. This stops activity in the cells and allows us to preserve the eggs.
A look at the process
At our New Braunfels fertility center, we perform egg freezing using vitrification.
- Vitrification uses cryoprotectants and ultra-rapid cooling to prevent ice crystal development.
- Vitrification provides the highest quality eggs for future use.
Candidates for egg freezing
There are many reasons a woman may want to pursue fertility preservation.
- Preserve the eggs prior to cancer or other medical therapy that may damage the ovaries
- Prepare for the surgical removal of the ovaries
- Help women with reduced ovarian reserve
- Have eggs for IVF procedures
- Delay childbearing for personal reasons
- Be an option when there are religious or moral objections to storing frozen embryos
Women under age 30 are the best candidates for egg freezing. Additionally, the success rates decline with age. The process starts with screening for infectious diseases and ovarian reserve tests. We then do ovarian stimulation to produce multiple eggs for retrieval. When a woman is ready to begin her family, we thaw her eggs and fertilize them in the lab. Dr. Hudson then transfers one embryo to the uterus.
Our New Braunfels fertility center understands fertility preservation. Call today to find out more.