Learn more about the causes of female infertility
It can be emotional to receive a diagnosis of infertility, and you might wonder how this could happen to you. Texas Fertility Center (TFC) provides advanced and proven infertility treatment in New Braunfels, but our team offers so much more than that. We also offer valuable information about the causes of female infertility, and compassionate support for every woman and man who walks through our doors.
Each patient is unique, and human reproduction is complex, so there can be many factors at play. Our goal is to utilize advanced tools to give you an accurate diagnosis and create an individualized treatment plan that is designed to help you overcome the complex causes of female infertility.
A look at the causes of female infertility
Female infertility contributes to about 40% of infertility cases, and physicians have identified many causes of female infertility over the years.
To determine what is causing your fertility struggles when you visit us for infertility treatment in New Braunfels, we’ll begin the process by taking a detailed medical history and performing diagnostic tests such as a transvaginal ultrasound and blood work. Using this information, our team may find one or more of the following causes of female infertility.
- A woman’s fertility declines with age. Starting in a woman’s mid-30s, the quality and quantity of her eggs begins to rapidly decline. For some women, this decline may happen earlier. In these cases, our fertility doctor may recommend in vitro fertilization (IVF) with or without donor eggs.
- An underlying medical condition can also cause fertility issues by interfering with ovulation or implantation. These issues may include damaged or blocked Fallopian tubes, pelvic inflammatory disease, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis and uterine fibroids.
- Being underweight (BMI of less than 19) or overweight (BMI above 30) is responsible for approximately 12% of all infertility cases. Our team often finds that weight loss as little as 5% to 10% can improve fertility.
- Smoking can damage a woman’s ovaries and prematurely decrease her egg supply, while drinking alcohol is associated with an increased risk of ovulatory disorders and endometriosis.
- Unmanaged stress may play a role in some cases of infertility, although researchers are still not sure why.
Be proactive about your fertility health
Understanding the causes of female infertility is the first step on your journey to bring home a baby. With this knowledge, you can make lifestyle changes and seek advice and infertility treatment in New Braunfels.
If you’re ready to get started on your fertility journey, contact us to schedule an appointment. Our team is excited to help you make your dream of parenthood become a reality.